LFR of the month
Every month we highlight a Local FireSmart Representative (LFR) that is making a major impact in their local community. Know of a LFR that deserves recognition? Submit their name below.
Quesnel and the North Cariboo
1.Where do you live and what geographical area do you cover? Central interior of the province near Bouchie Lake and cover Quesnel and the North Cariboo
2. How long have you been an LFR? 4 years
3. What made you decide that you wanted to be an LFR and support homeowners and neighbourhoods on how to become FireSmart? I’ve worked in the Forest industry for > 30 years as an RPF and after I retired the opportunity came along to share the fireSmart concepts with the community so I jumped at it as I believe in the concepts and seen the results first hand, so sharing the information is a natural fit for me.
4. What would you say are your 2 biggest challenges as an LFR? A. Getting the message out in a variety of ways to as many people as possible B. Getting municipalities and larger businesses to see the benefits of reducing the risk around their infrastructure and utilize firesmart practices in new construction
5. What are some of your successes with the FireSmart program? Working with a local church where we worked on a neighbourhood plan as they proved a venue for meetings and helped spread the message amongst their parishioners.
6. What has been your favourite project/event you have done with your local FireSmart Program? Working on a neighbourhood plan with community members and seeing the growth in the concepts and their pride in their efforts as they spread the message to their neighbours.
7. What advice would you give to other LFR’s? Always look at any and all opportunities to spread the message, I find it is like a pair of glasses and once you put them on, you can never take them off.
8. What is your favourite aspect of the FireSmart BC website? The wide variety of resources that are at your fingertips and the support that is provided when necessary.
Nominate a LFR
Know of a great LFR? Perfect! Nominate them today by using our submission form, or by sending us an email to [email protected] with their name and why you’d like to nominate them.