- This event has passed.
Local FireSmart® Representative Workshop – Campbell River
November 20, 2019 - November 21, 2019Free
The Local FireSmart® Representative workshop was developed by the Partners in Protection Association to assist community leaders and fire professionals to become familiar with and implement all components of the FireSmart Canada Community Recognition Program (FCCRP). The training provided in this two-day workshop equips Local FireSmart Representatives with an understanding of current Wildland Urban Interface concepts and wildfire hazard assessments. It provides them with the tools and skills necessary to recruit and motivate volunteer community leaders, and mentoring abilities to work with self-organized groups of citizens as they plan and implement wildfire mitigations in their own neighbourhoods.
The workshop objectives are:
- Enhance participant understanding of wildland fire behavior, how homes and structures are threatened by wildfire – and ignite, how to systematically recognize wildfire hazards in the WUI, and the full range of FireSmart mitigations for reducing wildfire risk to the WUI.
- Enable participants to apply the wildland fire hazard assessment process and appropriate mitigation measures available to individual or small groups of homes in ways that will aid residents in working together to reduce wildfire risks at the neighbourhood scale.
- Provide an overview of FCCRP components, step-by-step procedures for implementing the FCCRP, and examples and exercises that develop the skills required to make it work effectively in their jurisdiction.
- Prepare participants to fulfill all LFR duties, and contract assistance in support of the FCCRP and agency wildfire protection goals in the greater community.
- Provide participants with the communication tools required (i.e. a delivery ready mini-workshop) to recruit, inform and motivate area residents and assist Community Champions to take the lead in organizing their neighbours to take collective actions that reduce the potential for wildfire losses.
The primary target audience is fire response and land or municipal managers that are familiar with wildland urban interface (WUI) issues and FireSmart principles. The workshop targets those that are interested in implementing FireSmart policies and activities in their communities by serving as a Local FireSmart Representative. The workshops are open to local governments, First Nations, and local residents but are specifically suited for:
- Wildfire management agency/Municipal fire department staff
- Emergency Management staff
- Rural or urban planners and managers
- Office of the Fire Commissioner/Fire Marshall agency staff
- WUI specialists (e.g. RPF’s, RFT’s, other land specialists with wildland fire responsibilities)
The LFR workshops are intended to address training and awareness issues in the ‘private and community’ land areas.
Workshop attendees must register individually. If other persons in your organization wish to attend, they must also register individually. Thank you.