- This event has passed.
Local FireSmart Representative Workshop – Saturday, April 24, 2021 – 8:00 am – 5:00 pm PST
April 24, 2021 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Local FireSmart® Representative (LFR) workshop was developed by the Partners in Protection Association to assist community leaders and fire professionals to become familiar with and implement all components of the FireSmart Canada Neighbourhood Recognition Program (FCNRP).
The training provided in this virtual workshop equips Local FireSmart Representatives with an understanding of current Wildland Urban Interface concepts and wildfire hazard assessments. It provides them with the tools and skills necessary to recruit and motivate volunteer community leaders, and mentoring abilities to work with self-organized groups of citizens as they plan and implement wildfire mitigations in their own neighbourhoods. The LFR workshops are intended to address training and awareness issues in the ‘private and community’ land areas.
- Enhance participant understanding of wildland fire behavior, how homes and structures are threatened by wildfire – and ignite, how to systematically recognize wildfire hazards in the WUI, and the full range of FireSmart mitigations for reducing wildfire risk to the WUI.
- Enable participants to apply the wildland fire hazard assessment process and appropriate mitigation measures available to individual or small groups of homes in ways that will aid residents in working together to reduce wildfire risks at the neighbourhood scale.
- Provide an overview of FCNRP components, step-by-step procedures for implementing the FCNRP, and examples and exercises that develop the skills required to make it work effectively in their jurisdiction.
- Prepare participants to fulfill all LFR duties, and contract assistance in support of the FCNRP and agency wildfire protection goals in the greater community.
- Provide participants with the communication tools required (i.e. a delivery ready mini-workshop) to recruit, inform and motivate area residents and assist Neighbourhood Champions to take the lead in organizing their neighbours to take collective actions that reduce the potential for wildfire losses.
- Structural Firefighters
- First Nations and local government staff who are implementing FireSmart initiatives within their communities using Community Resiliency Investment (CRI) funding
- WUI Specialists (e.g. RPF’s, RFT’s, other land specialists with wildfire fire responsibilities)
- Rural or urban planners/managers
- Office of the Fire Commissioner
- Emergency management staff
- Wildfire management staff
If you are interested in participating in a virtual LFR Workshop, please complete the online registration process below. Once your registration has been reviewed and approved, you will receive an email confirming your registration. All LFR workshop participants will be required to have successfully completed FireSmart 101, a self-directed online training course a minimum of one week prior to the start of the workshop.
Certified Local FireSmart Representatives will be required to sign a Local FireSmart Representative Expectations document that clearly outlines their roles and responsibilities when fulfilling LFR duties.
Please Note – If you do not match the criteria for this workshop, you are encouraged to take FireSmart 101 and reach out to an LFR in your community. LFRs in BC are equipped to help neighbourhoods and communities get involved in FireSmart programs.
If you are First Nations staff or local government staff and interested in learning about the Community Resiliency Investment (CRI) funding, please click here to learn more.